Here’s how to teach your dog to roll over
1. Kneel down, and get your dog in a ‘down’ position in front of you. Hold a treat close to their nose with your palm facing up.
2. Turn their nose towards their shoulder by rolling your hand over so your palm is facing downwards, while arching your arm over their head.
3. As your dog’s nose follows the treat, they’ll become unbalanced and flop onto their side. At this point, reward them with the treat and plenty of praise.
4. Repeat the move, and add a second step: this time, keep your hand moving so that your dog has to roll over on to their other side. As soon as their body flips over, give them the treat.
5. After some more practice to reinforce what they’ve learnt so far, try getting them to roll right over in one move. When they get it right, add the command, “roll over!”
6. After enough practice and treats, they’ll learn to roll over on your command alone.
If you want your dog to behave in a particular way the use dog treats to lure dogs to do the behaviour you want.